Sunday 24 February 2013

A Strange Thing Took Place - Life of Fr. Benyamin the Hermit

Young Fr. Benyamin 

The person who accompanied Fr. Benyamin for many years before his monasticism was Cantor Abdo who was mentioned earlier. He learned from him the Midnight Psalmody and hymns, and began waking up early with him to pray the Psalmody before going out to the field. Later he was ordained deacon by the hands of the late Bishop Sawires, former metropolitan of Menya.

In regard to his behavior before monasticism, he loved reading, especially the lives of the saints. He was used to fasting until sunset every day and in the fasts like great Lent, he would sometimes abstain from food for two days. Others witnessed him when he ate simply and wisely.

The idea of monasticism began to develop in him before his recruitment period, while under the age of twenty. He began bringing this up with the priest and the chanter of the church until his recruitment in 1964, and he spent that period between Cairo and Alexandria. During the short holidays he would spend it with his relatives here and there,  and at this time something wondrous happened to him and he told us this himself:

One day during my 24 hour break I went immediately to my relatives’ home to spend the night there, but I couldn’t find anyone at home. So I went wandering around in the streets of Alexandria where I met a girl around my age. We started chatting about various things, some spiritual and some general. When it was evening, I left her so that we can meet the next day.

Pope Kyrillos VI

I went to one of the hotels to spend the night there, and in the morning I went out looking for her in different churches!!! But couldn’t find her anywhere, so I went into one of the churches feeling as if I was hurt.

I saw the late Pope Kyrillos VI censing  the church, so I stood in my place in the aisle where he was coming through. When he was right in front of me, he took the censer in his other hand and slapped me on the face and continued his way without uttering a word as if nothing happened! I was stuck in my place and felt the place of the slap.  I stood…I regretted… and went out immediately to my military unit.

I was very upset with myself, how could I be concerned with such a thing? And what is even stranger…how did the Pope know? He awakened me?!

1 comment:

  1. That's absolutely hilarious. Everyone who witnessed that probably had a good laugh. =PP The amazing wisdom of Pope Kyrillos! Never try to find your peace in another person.

    ReplyDelete